Thursday, December 19, 2019

Review: INFINITY BLADE: REDEMPTION by Brandon Sanderson

Rating: 3/5 stars

So this story takes place after the second Infinity Blade game, and it starts at a place that doesn’t make sense if you haven’t played the games, which I haven’t. At the end of the first novella, Infinity Blade: Awakening, Siris is about to go on a journey. At the beginning of Infinity Blade: Redemption, Siris is imprisoned with the God King. How did he get there? There is no prologue to explain that, no information to get you caught up if you didn’t play the games, and that was a problem here. I had no idea what was going on in this story, whereas the first book was actually rather interesting and I was looking forward to seeing where it was going.

Despite being a little confused how we got to the events the beginning, and despite still not knowing what some things are in this world, I actually ended up really enjoying this story. It was actually a more engaging story than the first installment and it left me wanting to know more about this world.

We’re back to following the story of Siris and Raidriar, but we also have another story that takes place in our day of a man named Uriel. At first the stories don’t seem related at all, but in the end we find out how they are connected, and it’s a very Sanderson-style ending.

The story ends at a place that really is the beginning of another story, and I’m left wanting to know what happens next. I just may have to look up spoilers online because the games don’t exist anymore (as far as I know) and there are no more novellas in this world.

I ended up enjoying both Infinity Blade novellas way more than I expected to, especially knowing nothing about the game beforehand. I think if you played the games or you’re a Sanderson fan, you should definitely give these stories a read, although I think a wider audience would enjoy them as well, like if you like classic fantasy stories or want a fun, adventurous action novella.

No comments:

Post a Comment