Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Review: DEAR IJEAWELE, OR A FEMINIST MANIFESTO IN FIFTEEN SUGGESTIONS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


Rating: 4.5/5 stars

I love what Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has to say about feminism, both in Dear Ijeawele and in We Should All Be Feminists

In this short manifesto, she writes a letter to her friend about how to raise her daughter as a feminist. I think this is an extremely important and relevant book, not just for mothers of daughters, but also for mothers of sons and for all women and men around the world. Chimamanda challenges social norms and stereotypical gender roles. She asks some profound questions. She gives some great suggestions about what we should teach our children and why teaching them these ideas and behaviors is important, and also about how we should live and treat others in the world. 

I did not quite agree with everything that she said, but for the most part, this is a book worth reading and adhering to. I know I will absolutely be returning to this again and again once I have kids, and until then, I have a lot to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment