Thursday, January 25, 2018

Review: CHASING THE SKIP by Janci Patterson

Rating: 3/5 stars

I decided to read this book because I heard the author give a lecture at my university that was about writing and getting published, and I became interested in her. I found this first book of hers at a book sale and decided to pick it up based on my previous experience hearing her speak. This novel isn't really my style, and I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise, but I'm glad I gave it the chance and decided to read it.

We follow teen girl Ricki, who ends up on a road trip with her dad, who's a bail bond enforcement officer (read: bounty hunter). Her dad is on the hunt for a particularly dangerous criminal across the United States while Ricki is stuck tagging along, all the while wishing she could just go back home to her mom and friends in Utah. But when they pick up teen bad boy Ian, Ricki thinks she sees a good side to him even though he's being faced with several criminal charges. On their journey, Ian plays a few tricks up his sleeves, and Ricki is forced to learn what it really means to trust someone.

My biggest compliment for this book is that it's highly entertaining; it's fast paced and action packed, with exciting shenanigans around every corner. There was never a dull moment. However, I do feel like that made the story slightly unrealistic (though it sure was enjoyable).

Although this book is a fun read, it also tackles some darker themes. Ricki faces abandonment issues with both of her parents and she has to learn to stand up for herself and voice her feelings in the end. We see her go through a nice character development and come out better on the other side. The author also deals with alcoholism and how that addiction negatively impacts all aspects of your life.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, but it's not one I'll ever be rereading. It was a cute, fun story, but I do feel like the target audience is definitely teen girls, and I don't really fit into that group anymore.

I thought I'd been in the position of power. But maybe I never had. Maybe the weapon didn't make Ian more dangerous. It just made the danger easier to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment